There has been Church on the present site since very early times. The South (main) doorway is Norman and the tower dates from the first half of 13th Century. Codsall, being one of the five Prebends of the Royal Free Chapel or College of Tettenhall, was served by a curate appointed by the Deanery or Chapter of Tettenhall. The College estates were acquired by Walter Wrottesley (1483-1563) from the Crown in 1549 and hence the association with the Wrottesley family, the present Lady Mary Wrottesley being the patron, jointly with the Bishop of Lichfield. In the chancel is the fine tomb of Walter Wrottesley (1551-1630) depicting his five children but neither of his wives.
Codsall became an ecclesiastical parish separate from Tettenhall in 1847. At that time the church was small and dilapidated. So, except for the tower, the old Church was then demolished and the present church built incorporating the Norman doorway, the tower and the Wrottesley tomb. The new Church included a north and south aisle, providing a seating capacity of about 450. A new vicarage was also built in 1848. This evolution of Codsall Church coincided with the building of the Birmingham – Shrewsbury railway line with a station at Codsall and its increasing attraction as a residential area.
In 1958, a major scheme replaced the old pews with the present oak ones, giving wider aisles. Other works, such as removing the bell-ringers’ gallery and the provision of a Priest’s vestry created an interior more acceptable to the Elizabethan era. The seating capacity was, however, reduced to about 250 people.
The parish registers date from 1587 and the Church silver included a chalice of 1592.
There are 8 bells, the earliest being cast in 1637.
Nearly all the stained glass windows are memorials to former parishioners.
- Features to note
1. The Dutch Delft-ware plaque (near the door) presented by the Protestant Churches of the Netherlands in gratitude for the hospitality shown to the Dutch Army encamped at Wrottesley Park in World War II.
2. The Royal Arms over the door of George III.
3. The Wrottesley Tomb
4. The Norman doorway